Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cheng Shin Tires: Don’t Know What You Got til It’s Gone

These tires came with my Schwinn Voyageur and one of them developed a gash. I tried to do a homebrew fix by putting patch on the inside of the tire and some super glue on the tread side (see pix below). That didn’t work as the spot would bulge when I tried to get close to the max PSI recommended. The tire that gashed was my rear tire.
I don’t know that much about tires only that some feel and ride great and others are just adequate. These were strictly in the first category. It seemed that when you wanted to go fast, these tires would aid you in that. And, if you just wanted to go slow and cruise, these tires would absorb the bumps and help you on your merry way.

Retailers do not seem to carry them. I looked for them in Walmart or Kmart and they only have Bell tires. I replaced them with Forte Gotham slicks (w/o Kevlar belt). I’ll use the front tire as a spare.

Tire size of the Cheng Shins was 700x40 . I had only put about 700 miles on these before the gash. They still had plenty of tread left.

I had read that they were pretty ho-hum tires and that manufacturers put these on because of their cheapness. My review of these Cheng Shin tires is quite positive.

2 comments:

2whls3spds said...

I have had Cheng Shins on a couple of my bikes as OEM tires, they are available, but hard to find. I have always gotten good service out of them for the prices.

Aaron

Rob said...

I put a 5 dollar Cheng Shin on my road bike and it was great, I rode bi-weekly for almost a year on it.

In the end a truck did in that bike, but the tire looked fine :)