Monday, February 15, 2010

Dumped! By Snow, That Is.

Ugh! As I type this, I am seeing some snow flurries out my window. The forecasters have predicted 1-2 inches for today in the immediate Washington DC metro area. In years past, such a snowfall would have generated much excitement. This year, it’s just a nuisance. You see, we’ve gotten around 56 inches of snow this season.

I read somewhere that we’ve gotten more snow than Buffalo or Cleveland this year. Even more, it has not warmed up enough to melt some of the snow that has fallen. It hardens by the sides of the road or in mounds of ice on the street. These mounds are very dangerous to maneuver by bike so I’ve been relying on public transit to get to work. Only the major thoroughfares have been plowed/cleared and I mostly take the side streets to avoid cars breathing down my rear tire. Maybe I’ll consider studded tires next year if we have another winter like this. I’m sure if I order studded tires tonight, it won’t snow again this season.

This is what your typical residential street looks like 3 days after the last major storm. Only one lane is somewhat paved and it's only good for one car.

No comments: